Despite the best preparations and your best-laid plans, anything can happen while you are out on the road and that includes accidents. Caused by any number of factors (like obstacles, animals or other drivers), an accident can be highly catastrophic and even very traumatic. Here at the Preston Automotive Group, we always hope our customers are as safe as they can be on their travels and that they avoid the dangers driving can bring. However, we also want everyone to know exactly what to do if they experience an accident and ensure they can handle the encounter. That is why our team has compiled a checklist for you to follow and help you retain the confidence, calm and focus you need to handle whatever an accident will bring. We recommend that you do the following after you get into a car accident:
- Immediately check yourself (and your passengers, if there are any inside your vehicle) for injuries and assess how serious they are.
- Call the local authorities — like a police department — and 911, no matter how minor your injuries or the damage to your vehicle. The police will be invaluable when it is time to make an insurance claim. Remember to get the responding police officer’s name, rank and badge number as well.
- If possible, move your car, truck or SUV off the road and onto the shoulder of the road. Shift into park, turn on your hazard lights and set up several flares (if you have any).
- Inspect the state of your vehicle and try to see what kind of damage it has sustained. If you can, we suggest making notes on everything that you see.
- If another driver is involved — After first seeing if he or she is alright, gather as much of their information as you can right away. This includes names of everyone present, information on all vehicles (models, makes, years, license numbers, etc), insurance carrier names and policy numbers, contact information and more. It also is a good idea to take several pictures of the scene, which can be used when you go to file your insurance claim.
- Wait for the proper authorities to arrive, and then seek medical treatment when necessary.
Your friends at the Preston Automotive Group hope that our customers find this checklist useful, but also that they never have to use it. We want everyone to stay safe while out on the road, so be sure to contact us for more information on what you can do avoid accidents happening to you and your loved ones.